Thursday, January 19, 2012

Duty of Memory

Picture of 743rd tankers taken during the liberation
Hope everybody can contribuate to this blog and share information with each other (not like on other forums where guys want to keep information for themselves ) so that we can learn more about those wonderful tankers. My father remembers the tankers very well. When they arrived on my father's fields, they dug in and slept near their tanks. Fouron le Comte, the village where I'm living, was used as a repair place for Shermans. Co C was in my town with Harry Hanssen in command.  I think he was wounded during the battle for Aachen. Living not far away (6 miles) from both American Cemeteries: Henri-Chapelle (Belgium) and Margraten (Holland), I adopted eight  743rd tanker's graves and would like to know more about those guys and the area where they were killed. My father sheltered many 30th Inf Div guys in his barn in 1944.  I'm running a Museum entirely dediacted to the 30th Inf Div and attached units so the young European Generation can remember the sacrifices of the many GI's made so many years ago. For most of them, the last and ultimate one. It's our duty of memory.
"PRESERVE THE PAST FOR THE FUTURE"
Submitted by: Vince Heggen: heggen.vincent@skynet.be
"Old Hickory Museum "
Belgium: 
http://www.oldhickory30th.com/
Ps I 'm still looking for pictures or other 743rd items to  display in the museum so they are not forgotten.
Thanks

743rd Tank Dozer taken during the liberation of Belgium

No comments:

Post a Comment